Let me set the scene…. you have a baby and as they get a little older they start watching a little kids TV and naturally they develop a favourite show.
As kids do they become quite fond of the characters and either they ask for or you decide to get them some merchandise.
Imagine your horror when you discover that unlike every kids show known to man this particular show does not sell anything. Nothing not a single noisy headache inducing toy or stuffed creature. What’s a Mum to do?
Well this is the exact situation for a kids show called Didi and B. Surprisingly this is one of the only shows we haven’t seen in our household but a friends little girl does watch it and loves it, so her mum asked if I could help out and make something for her.
Here is a picture of what the characters look like if you’re not familiar with them.
This one was a real challenge as I decided to really make it hard and not just design it from scratch but also work with fluffy yarn 😱.
I also faced my biggest hate and planned quite a bit of sewing!
I started with B and worked in rounds of yellow and black until the body was the desired length and I used 2 stands, one of the fluffy yarn and one 4ply cotton. This made it a little easier to keep track of the stitches but also meant it worked up a little quicker. I would have been there for blooming ages working with just the fluffy yarn as it’s so thin.
used black and white felt behind some safety eyes to add a bit more detailing.
Arms and legs were added next and it took a few goes to get the feet exactly how I wanted.
he wings are felt and attached at the back with fabric glue and sewn to make sure they are secure.
And lastly little antennae on the top are just a few chain stitches.
Next up is Didi. Again I started on the body and worked it in rounds of dark and light pink but made it a little narrower and longer than B.
The eyes, arms and legs are all the same as B.
he wings for Didi however required a lot more details. They are also felt and all the details were cut out and then glued and sewn onto the main wing template.
he wings were then secured onto to Didi, pinned in place and left overnight to dry fully. I sewed them onto the body over the top of the glue as well.
finished her off with her own longer set of antennae.
‘m quite pleased with how these guys turned out.
They measure approximately 25-30cm tall and should hold up to a lot of cuddles.